Development History Of Grinding Mill
In 1803, Mahlon Janney secured water rights on Ball's Run and began operating a grist and sawmill, now known as Schooley Mill, at the southwest corner of town. Throughout its history, this mill specialized in many services grinding corn, removing clover seed, processing limestone into lime for use as fertilizer and in mortar, and milling lumber.Lanterman’s Mill was a highly successful operation, utilizing three sets of grinding stones. Historians speculate that its downfall was due to the advent of roller mills which were much efficient and less costly to run. After closing, the Mill stood in a state of disrepair until purchased by the Park in 1892.